As a human being, we all experience negative feelings, stress, pressure, and tension in some parts of our life. Let us see first what are stress, pressure and tension are and then some of the ways how to deal with them.
Uncomfortable emotional experiences are accompanied by alteration in biochemical, physiological, and behavioral responses that results in unable to cope as a result of stress + pressure that is unmanageable.
Symptoms of Stress
- Difficulty making decisions
- Muscle tension
- Sleep Problem
Stress means one person’s thoughts are occupied with an argument and event that has happened earlier that causes the inability to pay attention short term. In terms of long-term effects, it affects cognitive function and increases the risk of dementia.
When stress becomes unbearable it results in frustration. In our daily life there is so much cause to become stressed, for example
- Daily hassle: becoming late, running out of time, etc
- Life changes: death of loved ones, marriage, children, new job, retirement, etc
- Catastrophy: unpredictable changes, the sudden death of someone, etc
- Environment: Air pollution, noise
Some other factor, such as : Sociodemographic factor, i.e. age, gender, ethnicity, race, high education, high salary affects someone to be stressful. Different personality type such as those type personality who are ambitious, hardworking they tend to be more stressed compared to those whose nature is noncompetitive or easy going.
Psychological stress associated with expectations to perform in a certain manner in a challenging situation. Pressure is when real or perceived serious demands imposed on another person by another individual. For example, a student may feel pressured to perform well in certain exams, an athlete may feel pressured to win an Olympics, an introvert may feel pressured to talk in a group, a person may feel pressured to buy BMW after getting a new job. Pressure from surroundings can affect someone’s performance, action in many ways. For example, students may be influenced by negative peer pressure and start to drink alcohol, positive peer pressure can influence someone to perform well in any situation. Pressurized by social media one can go to buy a certain product.
When someone feels pressure in a negative way, one may show following symptoms
- Loss of Memory and Concentration
- Confused Thoughts
- Mood Swings, Isolation, Withdrawal from Friends
- Headache or Sleep Disorders
Tension is when a mind is affected by stress or when someone is feeling too much pressurized, then feeling of worry and anxiety making it difficult to relax.
It can be seen that as a human being we all have to experience stress, pressure, tension in many ways. But there are ways so we can cope up with all these to live a healthy and balanced life. Here are some ways on how we can cope up with all these:
- Problem-focused Coping: A student may feel stressed after receiving a bad grade. So what he or she can do is to talk with the lecturer/mentor and do something about it so he or she can manage to get an excellent grade next time.
- Emotion-focused Coping: Talk with someone,i.e. a friend who is empathetic and can give some constructive criticism.
- Other ways: i. Relaxation techniques, i.e reading a book, listening to music, watching a movie, going out to work in a park.
We all should develop some coping mechanisms that suit us the best to cope with daily hassles, challenges so we can stay sane and happy.
Written by: Rahima Binta Bashar